Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Bad Day

Yesterday was a bad day. I don't know why, it just was. I spent most of it crying, wanting to cry, or feeling like I was going to throw up. But it's not a sick throw up, it's a frustrated throw up.

Yeah, my body really doesn't understand normal reasons for throwing up.

Actually, I suspect a large part of the badness of the day was how it started. I'm currently looking for a job, and although I'm a trained barista, and love doing that, I'm pretty much applying for anything these days. Not that it matters. No one even sends me an automated response! It's like I'm invisible.

Anyway, a job alert came into my email yesterday for a position at a pet store. Part time retail, but working with animals so score! Their online application is so ridiculous that it took nearly an hour to fill the darned thing out. Then it says something like, "Hey, you might qualify for this! Go to this link and fill out the assessment." Ok fine, I can do that.

So, I click on the link and it takes me to a log on page. Umm...what log on? There's no "new here? Register here!" button. It's just, log on. I try my usual combos, but it's like, "I have no idea who you are." Still not giving me an option to register. So I try the button saying "I don't know what you're asking for!" It tells me, "IF we can find that email in our system, we'll email you your log on information.

Five minutes later, I've gotten several emails, but none from the website! Change of tactics. I go back to the application, planning to skip the assessment step and continue with the rest. I figure there's probably going to be a section down the road along the line of, "Anything else you want to tell us?" And then I can be like, "Yeah. The website sucks." But in a much more professional manner. Use big words.

BUT IT WON'T LET ME!!

Basically, if you don't complete the assessment, they don't want to hear about it. At all. Seriously, do they even want applicants? See, this is the problem with so many people out of work and not enough people hiring. If you're clever enough to jump through all their flaming hoops while doing advanced calculus and baking a souffle, you're "over qualified for the position." And if I thought I was over qualified, I wouldn't apply!

I'm about to just close the window when I see the "withdraw" button. Fine, your website is rude, but I won't be. I click withdraw, and it takes me to another screen that says, "Why you wanna do me like that?"

Well, not really, but you get the point.

So I'm thinking, "YES! This is my chance at redemption!" I explain the situation, the HR person who obviously really loves their job will read it, realize that they really need an employee with such eloquence, and BANGO! We don't need no stinkin' interview. You start... NOW!!

Yeah, right.

After I finish, look through some of the other postings that are all depressingly horrible, I decide to go on with my day. It's already turned to crap, but maybe if I read some of the funny blogs, tend my virtual farm, and even pull out the big guns and watch some funny cat videos, maybe I can turn this around. Maybe I can do my exercises, grocery shop, get the last few loads of laundry done, and it will be an ok day.

No. Because an hour and a half after sending the reason for the withdrawal of my application to the pet store, I get an email. "Here's your password." I still don't know what my user name is. But really? An hour and a half?? REALLY!?

So, no. Yesterday was not destined to be a good day. Thus far, today is looking better. Not great, but better. 


No comments:

Post a Comment