Thursday, May 16, 2013

School girl is much less sexy when you're actually going to school

Yesterday was my first day back in school after nearly 7 years! And no, I'm not really counting the cafe services course I took last year, because I didn't have to write essays for that.

I'm doing an online degree in business management to help make my dream of business ownership come to life. Now, I know that to own your own business, you don't really need to have a degree. This is more about picking up the skills I need to feel confident in my choices of ruling the world running a small business.

But oh, it's so much harder than I remembered! Or maybe it's just because I'm older and have actual responsibilities now. I really didn't need fate to thumb her nose at me, though, and pretty much flat out tell me this was a huge mistake.

Allow me to explain.

My first seminar EVER was due to start at 10am. So, at 9:30am, I was preparing to log in- I'm seriously paranoid about missing a class due to technical difficulties which I already experienced with the orientation seminar. So my paranoia was deep red. As I'm typing my introduction paragraph, the power shuts off. CLICK!

I swear I went through the 7 stages of grief in 10 seconds! I was so angry, depressed, and stressed out that I started cleaning. This is why houses in the 50's were so tidy. There was no internet to distract house wives, and they were still depressed and stressed out so they cleaned. Although, I don't think I'll make a habit of cleaning. Especially now, but I'll get to that.

Anyway, 15 minutes before my second seminar started, the power came back on. Thank goodness. Of course, I didn't have time to prepare for said seminar since the "classroom" had only been "opened" yesterday morning. I'm still not 100% on how all the pieces of these classes fit together. At least I was able to attend the second seminar which was a bit like being sucked into a wind tunnel with 12 cats. Overwhelming is a light way to put it. And I wasn't alone. Over in the chat window, it seems like a LOT of my fellow classmates were feeling... well, the words that were thrown around a lot were "lost" and "confused." Oh yes.

And after spending close to 6 hours yesterday sitting in front of my computer, developing a crick the size of Asia in my neck, losing half my hair, and indulging in a couple of crying jags, I feel like I have made absolutely NO progress.

Yeah. This is going to be hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment