Thursday, May 9, 2013

Food for thought

This morning I logged into my coke habit Facebook, as per my morning routine. The very first post on my notifications was actually a link that one of my friends posted to a blog.

This is that link.

Ok, so now that you've read it and come back....you did read it right? Yes, I know it's long, but just trust me on this. It's worth it. Just make sure you come back to this blog after you've read that one.

Ready now? Awesome.

So, if you're in the same frame of mind that I'm in, you probably got teary eyed while reading the list. I figure that's ok. I don't know why it's ok, specifically, maybe it just has something to do with my level of passion.

See, my problem is that I want to do too many things. Right now, I have not one, not two, but three businesses that I want to start. And when I think about throwing two away to focus on one, well, it's kind of like picking a favorite kid. Besides, I don't think my mind can really focus on one thing to the exclusion of everything else.

What are the businesses, you ask? Ok, fine. You didn't ask, but you get to hear it anyway.

First, the oldest: Batty4Arts. Steve is a fantastic artist, and I do a crapload of crafts and stuff that could, in theory, fit into Batty.

Hey! I just looked and our website for Batty is still active. Imagine that! I really wish I had the know how to run that website. As it is, all our website functions have to go through Steve. My mind cannot comprehend how to deal with the inner workings of websites. I may be able to do a class. But for the time being, Steve is it. Which is a problem because his job, the one that allows us to do things like eat and live, takes up most of his time. I wish he could cut down to 40 hours a week. Especially since that's how much he gets paid for. But most of his weeks are 50-60 hours! That doesn't leave a lot of time for anything else.

Which sucks and makes me angry.

Anyway, my second business is Katcina Belly Dance. Whereas Batty is both Steve and I, Katcina (pronounced ka-CHEE-na) is completely me. And, possibly for that reason, it's a bit flaky. See, I'm not sure if I want Katcina to be just for teaching and performing, or if I want to also sell costumes through it. Although, I think I may leave the costumes under Batty.

The third business may be the most painful for me. Silver Fern. This is another that's between Steve and I. Basically, it started (and until we can work through all the bureaucratic nonsense, still is) Silver Fern Cafe. In New Zealand, a cafe can be a range of businesses. It can be a full restaurant, a simple coffee cart, or pretty much anything in between. Here in the States, the apparent perception is that a cafe is a full on restaurant, which isn't really what we're going for.

I don't know, maybe we'll leave it as is.

If we can ever get the damned thing off the ground.

Ok, maybe I should go back to read that bad ass post again. Not now, though. Right now I have plants to repot, and costumes to start!

No comments:

Post a Comment