Sunday, May 19, 2013

Censorship

If there's one thing that really riles me up, it's discriminatory practices. It's fine for you, you, and you, but not you. You're different, go away.

You may be aware that this debate took place in New York recently, and New York Courts realized that discrimination is wrong. Policies in the state have now changed to reflect the realization of equality. Basically, women were being arrested for wearing pants, when clearly, only men are allowed to wear pants.

Silly, right?

Well, that's not really it, but the truth is not much different if you can get around your own mental limitations. What actually was decided is that there is no law against being topless in public, so when women were being arrested for baring their breasts, that was discrimination. Of course, the prudish turn it into a debate about nudity. My response to that is get over yourself and see the real issue at hand. When you can get in trouble because you are the wrong gender, that, boys and girls, is called discrimination. 

The fact of the matter is, you can discuss the values of it all you want. It still comes down to discrimination. Gay marriage? When you are not allowed to do something based on your sexual orientation, it's discrimination.

How long are we really going to debate this? I'm so sick of it! Women's suffrage and Civil Rights really kind of nailed this stuff on the head. Discrimination is wrong.

And yet, there seems to be no escaping it. I'm a woman so therefore, I am by nature less than a man.

I don't agree with that. My husband doesn't agree with that. In fact, if I were to put it that way to most anyone, my guess is most people wouldn't agree with that. Yet, if aliens landed here today, that's exactly what they would see.

Anyway, I posted a link to the article about New York on my Facebook feed. Of course, it incited an epic debate between me and a friend. I felt, however irritating the debate was, we both kept it civil and stated our views. There was no name calling, flaming, bashing, etc. It was simply a heated debate about an issue that we disagree on. It happens. Believe it or not, it's ok to disagree about things.

This morning, I had a message from Facebook telling me that they pulled the thread and I'm on warning. Of course, they can't really say why, but basically, freedom of speech is a myth.

I am beyond livid. Once again, I'm being told I'm wrong because I'm a woman and I don't follow the cattle. Sorry, but I don't think I'm wrong here.

Oh, and Facebook, you discriminate. How many topless men's photos are on Facebook? I've even seen them as profile pictures. Yet a photo of a woman that was unfortunately placed so her elbows, at first glance, appeared to be nipples, was flagged as inappropriate.

The Federal Court system has ruled that it is unconstitutional to have a law/rule apply to one gender only. In other words, if you don't want topless females, you can't have topless men. Or, better in my opinion, grow up, join the rest of the civilized world, and get over it! A breast is not bad.

Back to Facebook.

I'm not really sure how I want to deal with this. I'm entirely too tempted to walk away, nurse my wounds for a bit, and chalk it up to the end of the human race. But you know, the woman in New York sued the state and won, setting a precedence and creating change.

So, if you are a lawyer or know a lawyer who would be interested in a pretty solid case, please contact me. I follow this through if someone shows me the way.

Stop telling others that they don't have worth because they're different. 

No comments:

Post a Comment