Saturday, July 6, 2013

Transformation

I had an appointment at my doctor's office yesterday with the resident "life coach." Basically, someone else to tell me that I'm fat because I do all the wrong things. I drink too much, I don't eat right, and I don't get enough exercise. So yeah, I wasn't really relishing going to the appointment.

But I was wrong. The first sign that this was going to be a different sort of appointment was that she didn't make me get on the mental torture device scales. Instead, she said, "I don't care how much you weigh or what size pants you wear. I care about how you feel. If your body is working right, then that's good."

It was a little difficult, though. She was quite blunt and said I'm "fat all over," which despite the truth of that statement, having it put quite so succinctly was a bit hard to take. It wasn't a judgement, though, just a statement of fact. The weird thing was, she could list my symptoms easily- aches, fatigue, sensitive skin, itchy scalp, headaches, gas, etc. Then she told me dieting would be pointless right now. I will continue to get fatter no matter how well I eat, how much exercise I do, which is exactly what's been happening! Doctors keep telling me to cut down on the amounts I eat, only eat "good" food, and exercise. Well, I exercise and I'm very careful about what I eat. I've even been making huge efforts to cut back on alcohol. But I continue to gain weight. So I've been getting really frustrated.

According to the life coach, the weight gain, stress, headaches, lack of sleep, and skin issues all come down to two main things: intestines and sinuses. She suspects my intestines resemble a frat pad after a homecoming party that lasts a week. So, I'm now on massive amounts of probiotics, licorice, and no more Coke zero- regular Coke instead. As for my sinuses, I got a neti pot yesterday and I'm making it a part of daily life. I used it last night, and I actually could breathe freely for the first time in months!

I feel really good about where this is going. She told me I'm doing the right things, I just needed a little shove in the right direction. My body needs help to heal from past damage. All my little issues and history have taken their toll on my poor insides, but if we can heal that damage, I should come right. I love that her way of "dieting" isn't to deny yourself of all those things you know are bad for you, but to limit them or find better alternatives. Like the coke thing. I've been drinking coke zero to limit the calories I take in. I have one a day, that's it. She said to stop the zero, drink regular coke. One a day is not bad. Artificial sweeteners destroy your intestines, but your body still reacts like you've ingested sugar. Your body can deal with real sugar without the harm the chemicals do.

Plus it tastes better.

So, we'll see what happens. Right now I'm around 200 pounds, a size 16-18. I'd like to get down around 160 pounds, a size 10-12. That's about where I feel comfortable and don't get sick as often.

I will miss my boobs, though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment