Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Momentous

Today marks one of the most important days of my life: ten years ago, my son was born. I was 21 years old, single, with a restraining order against his biological father, scared and alone. Every bit of energy went into keeping this difficult child alive, and making ends meet.

Our lives have changed so radically over the last 10 years, I hardly recognize the person I was then. Most of my energy still goes into keeping this difficult child alive, but I've got more time for myself now. I still don't know what I'm doing most of the time, but I've become very adept at acting like I do.

I can't believe my little boy is now in double digits! Honestly, I just cannot get over that fact.

As another momentous occasion to mark today, it's my first day at my new job! Orientation, to be precise. Actually, day one of orientation. I've been hired for an on call position at Macy's as a cosmetic adviser. I get to play with make up! And they carry Bare Escentuals! So excited! But also scared out of my wits. It's been six years since I've had a job, and closer to 11 years since I worked retail! I'm terrified. And to show it, I have the biggest pimple I've had in....a really long time. Figures.

So, wish me luck on my first day. Wish Ian a happy birthday. And let's hope this job is easier than this kid! If I love the job half as much as I love this kid, I'll be in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment